We are a group of people interested in environmental sustainability and social responsibility, and are member-owned, directed and run.
There are five goals that are at the core of Aster Group:
- We offer consultant services through our worker members in climate change adaptation, sustainability planning for communities, sustainable tourism and transportation planning, energy management for businesses and communities, strategic planning and facilitation, environmental education, biological inventories, quantitative research, green event planning (etc.) to multi-sectoral clients in New Brunswick.
- We will develop and implement benefits plans (health, dental, retirement) for its non-profit members that match those members’ needs while remaining financially sustainable. Through the large number of members, the Aster Co-operative will be able to provide these plans at an affordable cost to its non-profit organization members. These plans will also be available to the worker members. UPDATE 2021: we explored a plan, and at this stage, there are plans offered through OASIS (health & dental) and through the AFMNB (directors liability) that are affordable and accessible, and we could not match those.
- We will strive to implement administrative cost-shared support services such as web support, bookkeeping, other technical support, and human resource sharing for its non-profit organization members. UPDATE 2021: we do offer limited bookkeeping support, we have a translator as member.
- We will develop and implement training, mentoring and capacity-building programs for its worker members, especially youth entering the workforce.
- A Trust Fund will be implemented where profits are invested, new investments are sought, and environmental & sustainability projects and programs in New Brunswick will be supported. The Trust Fund will be established within 2 years. UPDATE 2021: the Aster Foundation is in place.
Aster Co-operative is a group of professionals committed to environmental sustainability and social responsibility. We are member-owned, directed and run. We believe in the following co-operative values:
- Voluntary and open membership
- Democratic member control
- Member economic participation
- Autonomy and independence
- Education, training, and information
- Co-operation among co-operatives
- Concern for community